I was so pleased with Halloween's baby pumpkin hat pattern, I wanted to try and make a Santa one too! This is based on the pumpkin hat, with the obvious changes in color and addition of the pom-pom instead of a stem.
Read on for the free pattern!
You will need:
- 1 skein each worsted weight red yarn and white yarn (I always choose yarn that's machine washable for baby projects)
- US size 6 double-pointed needles
- Stitch marker
- Darning needle
- Pom-pom maker (optional; I have this one and love it)
1. Cast on 64 stitches with white yarn and join for working in the round.
2. Knit 10 rows.
3. Switch to the red yarn and knit 20 rows.
3. Begin decrease: *Knit 5, k2tog, repeat from * until end.
4. Knit 5 rows.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Knit 2 rows.
7. Repeat step 3.
8. Knit 1 row.
9. *Knit 2, k2tog, repeat from * until end.
10. Knit 1 row.
11. Repeat rows 9 and 10 until there are 10 or so stitches remaining.
12. Bind off. (Cut the yarn, leaving about a 6" tail. Thread this through the remaining stitches using your darning needle, remove the knitting needles, pull tight, and tie, weaving in the ends.)
13. With the white yarn, make a pom-pom using your pom-pom maker or a tutorial like this one, and attach it to the top of the hat.
Don't be surprised if you get some requests for this in an adult size too!
*Amazon is an affiliate sponsor of the Homesteady